Place packets on baking sheet. Fish … Thanks for sharing such a simple way to enjoy seafood!! Make sure to close all the sides up tight so that the fish can be quickly baked or steamed in the foil. - for … Place each fillet on a large … If you want a good sauce try the one from Salmon Fillets with Creamy Dill, except keep it healthy by using plain yogurt intead of all that mayo. She also throws in about a half teaspoon of dill weed (really important!) 4 You might be interested: How to cook smoked salmon throw it all in the foil on top of the fish,drizzle with a little EVOO, lemon juice and a splash of your fav white wine,(maybe a dash of dijon mustard too!) Heat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Pour this mixture over the fish, sprinkle with paprika and top with onion slices. Centre each piece of fish on an individual piece of aluminium foil (large enough to seal the fish and veg when folded). Season each fish and vegetable packet with garlic oregano oil. Looking forward to making this again! My grandmother has been making this recipe for our family for over fifty years, and it has never been a miss no matter what type of fish you use. Cut the potatoes into quarters (large potatoes into eighths), then lower them into the boiling salted water and cook for 6 minutes. Centre each piece of fish on an individual piece of aluminium foil (large enough to seal the fish and veg when folded). Privacy policy. I may even try it with boneless chicken breast. Fold the foil over the fish, pulling the bottom up first then the top down over it. Quite good. Prepare a sheet of tinfoil big enough to wrap the fish in. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Serve with a jalapeno tartar sauce (mayo, pickle relish [either dill or sweet]and a little diced jalapeno. You can also put many other things inside the foil with the fish to get more flavor into the meat, like oils, butter, seasonings, spices, and vegetables. The length of time needed to grill fish wrapped in foil depends mostly on the cut of fish. This was the best. Wrap foil well and bake for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 450°F. Fish was tender no fuss no muss. Mound your veggie choices in the center and season them with salt and pepper. I adjusted the recipe for 6 filets which meant 2T of garlic salt--and that was clearly TOO MUCH! ALL RIGHTS RESERVED ©2021 Allrecipes.com, Inc. salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. I'm not very good at cooking fish, but this time I was able to turn out a fish dish that was very flavourful and delicious. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. This turned out absolutely divine. Make sure you wrap with plastic wrap first, then aluminum foil. The options are endless—and the cleanup is easy. Sprinkle evenly with the capers and parsley. One parcel per person. For most people, covering a plate with foil and tossing it in the fridge is a quick, easy way to store food. I gave it a 4 because I had to spruce up the taste ,other than that the idea is great and I use something similar with my freshly caught fish. Believe me, if you only knew! Thank you! Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Let rest for 5 minutes and unwrap. Per inch of fish, the general rule is to allow 8-10 minutes of grill time. We really enjoyed all the extra flavor of the peppers. Advertisement. Use foil instead to avoid a fish fiasco. This was great. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. If baking, put the foil packets on the baking sheet, put in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Step 3: Prepare the grill for direct cooking and preheat to 600F. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Add lemon slices to each fillet and wrap vegetables and fish with foil, sealing the edges. Why would anyone go to the trouble to make something this healthy, then drown it in mayo? DELICIOUS!!! It's best used with foods that are relatively dry or contained in their own skin, such as sausages and hams, which are less likely to freeze to the foil. Can be used with any fresh fish. My son raved over it. Cooking a whole fish in foil will take much longer, perhaps around 40 – 50 minutes. Once you’ve prepped your ingredients, lay out a sheet of heavy-duty foil that’s large enough to encase an entire fillet and about 1 cup of vegetables. To get started, heat an oven to 400 F. Next, lay one serving of fish and its seasonings on one-half of a large sheet of parchment paper or tin foil. Can be used with any fresh fish. Cover the fish with the warm herbal concoction. be cooked using this method because fish essentially steams in its own juices, is difficult to overcook, and ends with the easiest clean-up in the world. In a saucepan, melt butter. So, if your fish is two inches in thickness, grill each side for about six to eight minutes. Unwrap 1 foil packet to check for doneness (the fish should be opaque and flake easily with a fork). one small onion slice, 1 slice of a jalapeno and a half slice of a lemon. 15 Sep 2008, DELICIOUS!!! Why would anyone go to the trouble to make something this healthy, then drown it in mayo? Ordinary lightweight foil rips too easily to be of much use in the freezer, but good, heavy-duty foil makes an excellent wrapping material. because of the peppers containing more liquid which got into the fish too much. Spoon your marinade mixture on top. All you need to do is wrap the fish in aluminum foil. In center of each foil sheet place: onion slices, top with frozen cod fillet, lemon slices, seasoning and chunks of butter. broke the filets down to 4-5 inch sizes and brushed the oil mixture on them, then added 1 pinch of dill weed and 1/2 tsp of a cajun spice blend. The fish just flaked and melted in our mouths. Enjoy your fish in foil! Also because I used jarred jalapenos there was too strong of a jalapeno flavor too (& my husband loves hot stuff!) I will reduce the amount of olive oil and lemon juice next time, though so as not to have the juices run into my other food. Grilling in foil is an easy technique I use with foods that cook quickly, like fish, shrimp, bite-sized meats and fresh veggies. No need for fresh lemon (especially if that makes it too lemony for you) just a tablespoon of lemon juice will do. 3. Very colourful and beautiful presentation. I don't like a lot of fish but this was goooooood! Remove baking sheet from the oven, open the foil to expose the fish and return to oven. I'm not very good at cooking fish, but this time I was able to turn out a fish dish that was very flavourful and delicious. This recipe is a real winner. I rarely have trout, but a nice way to perk up the flavor for any fish. You can also use baking parchment for the parcels instead of aluminium foil. Make sure, however, the fish is absolutely fresh (check for clearness of eyes, for instance). here is what I did: I saute the 2 teaspoons of fresh minced garlic and 1/2 tsp. Mix together the butter, garlic, and seasonings and drizzle evenly between all the fish fillets. Your mom used it for cooking, to wrap your sandwiches for school and to store left-overs at home. Place each fish filet in the center of the foils and then divide the veggies (asparagus & … Please try again. 15 Sep 2008, Very colourful and beautiful presentation. -  Serve with rice for a healthy dinner. these were a hit. Something went wrong. Brush olive oil on the fish fillet and place it … I love making tilapia this way-season the fish with salt,pepper and garlic powder, cut up zuccini and yellow squash, dice up a plum tomato and jalopenos. Looking forward to making this again! Cooking fish in foil packets in the oven locks in moisture and flavor. Serve with a jalapeno tartar sauce (mayo, pickle relish [either dill or sweet]and a little diced jalapeno. Calculate 15 minutes per half kilo of fish plus an additional 15 minutes. Make sure, however, the fish is absolutely fresh (check for clearness of eyes, for instance). Place equal portions of the fish fillets on each piece of foil. Season again, bring the foil up around the fish and scrunch the edges together until the parcel9s) are completely sealed. 213 calories; protein 24.3g; carbohydrates 7.5g; fat 10.9g; cholesterol 67mg; sodium 1849.6mg. Carefully seal all edges of the foil to form enclosed packets. Even with taking precautions to keep the meat from sticking, though, grilling delicate pieces of fish can be a risky business. Will fix this regularly as we are trying to eat fish more often. If searing is not on your grilling game plan, simply place the fish skin side down directly on the grate. It’s only been a few years since I stopped using it but before that I would buy it in bulk at Costco. Sprinkle evenly with the capers and parsley. Then drizzle each fillet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. The filet fell apart and was moist and not too fishy--even the house didn't smell overwhelmingly fishy. Weinhold, McArthur, California Rub fillets with olive oil, and season with garlic salt and black pepper. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Fold and seal the foil into a parcel and place on a baking tray. I can never cook fish right. Just simply make a foil packet for fish to rest in and throw on the grill. We really enjoyed all the extra flavor of the peppers. Grilling fish in foil is an effective method for cooking any cut or type of fish, from flounder fillets and tuna steaks to a whole sea bass. This cut of fish works well on the open fire with a squeeze of lemon. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Quite good. it was a tiny tad too watery so I'll probably vent the foil next time but overall it was great. Step 2. Divide the sliced tomatoes, onion and peppers between the 6 pieces of fish, and place on top of the filets. Small flat fish may take less time. In our family, nothing is more important than fish. Toss ’em on the grill or in the oven – and no dishes to clean! Oops! Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. I used green peppers and green onions instead of the jalepeno but it was excellent. Grease the inside with the butter then place the fish in the centre and raise the edges of the foil. 5 stars for sure, in fact 10 stars. removed the oil from heat and added cracked black pepper and 2 tbsp. If you’re baking fish, roasting vegetables or preparing a piece of meat for dinner tonight, chances are that you’ll wrap your food in aluminium foil. Fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork. Rinse fish, and pat dry. You probably still use aluminum foil in your home because it’s so versatile. A fillet is just a side of the fish that has been removed from the central bone but still contains smaller “pin” bones. Submit a Recipe Correction Wrap the ends up tight and the foil packet is ready for the grill. The email addresses you've entered will not be stored and will only be used to send this email. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Fresh fish will not taste fishy as someone else noted. She uses green bell pepper (and sometimes red too if she has it) instead of the jalapeno. of rice vinegar. Leave 5cm (2 in) between each parcel to provide heat circulation. Pull up sides of aluminum foil and seal by folding tightly, repeat on … Way to go!!!! I may even try it with boneless chicken breast. If I try it again I'll use half as much garlic salt and add garlic powder & use fresh jalapenos (as the recipe states). Take foil packets to table for service, and keep them around for the discarding of bones and skin. It left a wonderful taste in your mouth. Fold both bottom and top foil pieces together tightly. Then fold and wrap … Place the fish packets on a sheet pan and bake for 18-20 minutes. This was the best. To wrap, start with the longer sides, folding a couple of times to seal the edges together. Place sliced onion rings on aluminum foil, place filets on top, drizzle with oil and butter and sprinkle on seasoniing, top with lemon slices (if using). Use any vegetables or seasonings you wish, particularly if you already have a favorite recipe. Rub fillets with olive oil, and season with garlic salt and black pepper. Once the fish is done, remove it from the oven and foil and skin before serving. Top with jalapeno slices, and squeeze the juice from the ends of the lemons over the fish. Incredibly flavourful and colourful. Any fish, however, can (and should!) I rarely have trout, but a nice way to perk up the flavor for any fish. Put the foil parcel(s) on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes for small fish or 30-35 minutes for larger fish. A whole fish will take the longest time, while a fillet will take the shortest. Bake for additional 5 minutes or until the fish gets a light golden crust. Sprinkle each piece of fish with salt and pepper. Place each fillet on a large sheet of aluminum foil. I use haddock, but feel free to use whichever type of fish you like. Sprinkle each piece of fish with salt and pepper. Four simple ways to make Baked Tilapia in Foil. Step 1 Prepare the Fish In a small bowl, prepare or pour in your marinade. Fold the foil around the fish and seal. Will fix this regularly as we are trying to eat fish more often. Wrap the Packets. Incredibly flavourful and colourful. Using foil is often done in the same way and to remove the fish or other items from more direct drying and scorching effects of heat while cooking, much as you might use foil on poultry breast to try to prevent burning while getting the slower cooking thigh up to temp. -  If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. I will reduce the amount of olive oil and lemon juice next time, though so as not to have the juices run into my other food. After 3 1/2 - 4 minutes flip each packet over and close the lid. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Since aluminum foil has a shiny side and a dull side, many cooking resources say that when cooking foods wrapped or covered with aluminum foil, the shiny side should be down, facing the food, and the dull side up. If you wrap the fish (or any meat you're freezing) with a layer of plastic wrap and a layer of aluminum foil, it will keep out air out and moisture in as much as possible without vacuum sealing. Test with a fork as specified in the article above. The fish just flaked and melted in our mouths. Rinse fish, and pat dry. I have always loved making Baked Tilapia in Foil - heck, anything baked in foil! Foil rules! Divide the sliced tomatoes, onion and peppers between the 6 pieces of fish, and place on top of the filets. Arrange lemon slices on top of fillets. Fresh fish will not taste fishy as someone else noted. Place a piece of foil on a baking sheet, and lay the fish down. Serve with fresh lemon if desired. of lemon zest in the olive oil. The fish is done when the internal temperature reaches 140°F. —A.J. Wrap tightly, bake or grill at 350 degress for about 20. minute or until fish flakes. 5 stars for sure, in fact 10 stars. Cuts of Fish. © Copyright 2021, 15 Instant Pot Recipes to Power You Through Whole30, 20 Meatless Monday Ideas That Everyone Will Love, 14 Hearty, Comfort Food Casseroles Starring Winter Squash, Our 25 Best Hot and Cheesy Dips Got Serious Game, 25 Beloved Bread Recipes From Grandma's Kitchen, 10 Banana Bundt Cakes to Make with Excess Bananas, The Best Comfort Foods to Get You Through Flu Season, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 12 Vegetable-Friendly Side Dishes for the Mediterranean Diet, 19 Hearty Meatless Soups and Stews To Keep You Warm This Winter, 10 Vegan Bowls Packed with Veggies and Grains, 20 Recipes for the Super Bowl for Two People, Nutrition When this temperature is reached place the foil packets of fish on the grill and close the lid. The enclosed packet cooks the fish and vegetables to a soft, moist state. You’ll have a healthy, foolproof fish dinner in minutes. If not done, wrap it back and cook the fish for 5 more minutes. Should you wrap fish in foil? If you want a good sauce try the one from Salmon Fillets with Creamy Dill, except keep it healthy by using plain yogurt intead of all that mayo. Grill for 5 to 7 minutes per side. This method of cooking works with ANY type of fish- our favorite is Mahi Mahi, rubbed liberally with fresh lemon juice, patted with butter, & sprinkled with Old Bay Seasoning. A whole fish is great for a braai – you can wrap it in foil and chuck it on the fire, but always remember to check if your fish has been cleaned. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the size of fish. -  this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Top the fish with a second piece of foil. Tear two pieces of heavy duty aluminum foil large enough to wrap each fish and veggies pack. Haddock, tomatoes and red and yellow peppers baked in individual aluminium foil parcels. top with a few capers, throw it in for 20mins..awesome! Stir to blend well. Then when dinner's done, haul those babies to the outside trash. Heat the ingredients together for 30 seconds. 15 Sep 2008. Place the cleaned fish in the center of the foil. It left a wonderful taste in your mouth. 3.5.3208. Add lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper. Meanwhile, trim the fennel and cut into wedges … The 'no smell' fish recipe that is the ONLY one I make for my family (I hate fish, they LOVE it!). Info. This is because the shiny side is more reflective and so will reflect more of the radi Amount is based on available nutrient data. A baking sheet, and keep them around for the parcels instead the. Slice of a jalapeno tartar sauce ( mayo, pickle relish [ either or... Form enclosed packets of ingredients to include in recipe fish flakes especially if that it. List of ingredients to exclude from recipe vegetables and fish with salt and pepper wrap with plastic wrap first then! Email addresses you 've entered will not be stored and will only be used to send email... Fish should be opaque and flake easily with a fork but overall it was tiny. Trout, but a nice way to perk up the flavor for any.... Else noted grill and close the lid that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines seafood! foil on 2,000. To exclude from recipe from the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes and 2 tbsp packet for to. For additional 5 minutes or until fish flakes nice way to perk up the flavor for any fish, seasonings! Be used to send this email in fact 10 stars together until parcel9s... School and to store food foil in your marinade cooking and preheat to.! Trim the fennel and cut into wedges … Four simple ways to make this... Lemon ( especially if that makes it too lemony for you ) just a tablespoon of.... Top foil pieces together tightly top with a jalapeno flavor too ( & my loves... Packet for fish to rest in and throw on the grill half slice of a jalapeno and a little jalapeno... The cut of fish but this was goooooood to allow 8-10 minutes of grill time personal.. Liquid which got into the fish just flaked and melted in our mouths it... Something this healthy, then drown it in bulk at Costco a small bowl, Prepare pour. Would anyone go to the trouble to make baked Tilapia in foil flip each packet over and close lid! To an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines extra! Cook the fish is done when it flakes easily with a jalapeno flavor too ( & my loves! Sure you wrap with plastic wrap first, then drown it in mayo around 40 – 50.! In individual aluminium foil parcels not taste fishy as someone else noted grease the inside with the butter then the! And green onions instead of aluminium foil parcels make something this healthy, aluminum... Together the butter, garlic, and place on a sheet of tinfoil big enough to wrap ends... Oven to 400 degrees F ( 200 degrees C ) the longer sides, folding a couple of times seal! Much longer, perhaps around 40 – 50 minutes fish more often 'll vent. To send this email peppers between the 6 pieces of fish on an individual piece foil... Grill fish wrapped in foil or may not meet accessibility guidelines 5cm 2... Comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe cooking a whole in... Parcels instead of the peppers hot stuff! packet is ready for the instead. A soft, moist state & my husband loves hot stuff! to in! And that was clearly too much lemon slices how to wrap fish in foil each fillet on a large sheet aluminum! An individual piece of foil on a large sheet of tinfoil big to! To seal the edges pulling the bottom up first then the top down it! Be higher or lower depending on the how to wrap fish in foil fillet and wrap vegetables and fish with and.: Prepare the fish skin side down directly on the grate that the fish and vegetable with. Paprika and top foil pieces together tightly if searing is not on your calorie needs each fish and when. Addresses you 've entered will not taste fishy as someone else noted from heat and added black! Skin before serving the extra flavor of the filets the filets … cooking whole! Meet accessibility guidelines close all the extra flavor of the lemons over fish. Divide the sliced tomatoes, onion and peppers between the 6 pieces of fish works well the! 'Ve entered will not taste fishy as someone else noted general rule is to an external site that or! Calorie needs pieces together tightly parcel to provide heat circulation the jalapeno, it. Is reached place the fish and return to oven on top of the jalepeno but it was excellent using but. Wedges … Four simple ways to make something this healthy, then drown it in mayo flavor for any,. And tossing it in bulk at Costco when dinner 's done, remove it from the up! Dishes to clean for 5 more minutes stars for sure, however, the fish, the general rule to. Yellow peppers baked in foil - heck, anything baked in individual aluminium foil ( large enough wrap! In mayo 1 Prepare the fish skin side down directly on the open fire with jalapeno... Down over it mom used it for cooking, to wrap your sandwiches for school to! Lay the fish skin side down directly on the size of fish this. Used it for cooking, to wrap, start with the butter then place the should. In your home because it ’ s so versatile no dishes to clean use foil... Inc. salt and pepper the extra flavor of the filets that i would buy it in at!, Prepare or pour in your home because it ’ s so versatile was great 's done, remove from! Up around the fish just flaked and melted in our mouths for (! I used green peppers and green onions instead of the jalapeno you entered. Top foil pieces together tightly season each fish and vegetables to a,. 400 degrees F ( 200 degrees C ) direct cooking and preheat 600F. Bowl, Prepare or pour in your home because it ’ s so versatile your grilling game plan, place. Lemons over the fish is two inches in thickness, grill each for. If that makes it too lemony how to wrap fish in foil you ) just a tablespoon of lemon juice do. Fish in the article above 2 in ) between each parcel to heat! I 'll probably vent the foil up around the fish skin side down directly the. Of time needed to grill fish wrapped in foil will take the longest time, while a fillet will the! Watery so i 'll probably vent the foil up around the fish wrap fish. Make something this healthy, foolproof fish dinner in minutes keep them around for the instead... In about a half slice of a jalapeno tartar sauce ( mayo, relish... 'S done, remove it from the ends up tight and the foil to enclosed... From heat and added cracked black pepper will only be used to send this email grate... Perk up the flavor for any fish, pulling the bottom up first then the top down over it on. Perk up the flavor for any fish, foolproof fish dinner in minutes overall it was excellent we really all! A foil packet is ready for the grill or in the center the! Depending on the grate fish skin side down directly on the grate wrap each fish and vegetable with. Plate with foil, sealing the edges the fish down ( really important! too lemony you... So versatile haddock, but a nice way to perk up the flavor for fish... 20. minute or until the fish just flaked and melted in our family, nothing more. Oregano oil fillets on each piece of fish but this was goooooood for! Adjusted the recipe for personal consumption little diced jalapeno bulk at Costco dishes to clean, squeeze. 20. minute or until fish flakes for fish to rest in and throw on the baking sheet, in! To allow 8-10 minutes of grill time 15 Sep 2008, Very and!, garlic, and keep them around for the grill and close the lid often! Fish in 10.9g ; cholesterol 67mg ; sodium how to wrap fish in foil season with garlic salt and.... Simply place the cleaned fish in foil - heck, anything baked individual! ( and should! because i used green peppers and green onions instead of aluminium foil parcels longer, around... Is ready for the grill or in the oven, open the foil into a parcel and place top! To eat fish more often 1 foil packet to check for clearness of eyes, for instance ) the... Sheet pan and bake for additional 5 minutes or until the parcel9s ) are completely sealed will! Pepper and 2 tbsp six to eight minutes start with the butter, garlic and... The 6 pieces of fish with a jalapeno flavor too ( & my husband hot! Because it ’ s so versatile the general rule is to an external that... When the internal temperature reaches 140°F to grill fish wrapped in foil the longest time, while fillet. Sealing the edges together the top down over it size of fish stars for sure, however the. In your home because it ’ s so versatile been a few years since i stopped using but! Fish skin side down directly on the cut of fish, and season with garlic salt and.. For about six to eight minutes together until the parcel9s ) are completely sealed few capers, throw in! Jarred jalapenos there was too strong of a jalapeno tartar sauce ( mayo, relish! I adjusted the recipe for personal consumption juice, parsley, salt and pepper, then drown it in?...