I don’t know if it is still there, it would be at least fifty years since I last saw it. The Charlton House heritage mulberry 8th June 2016 The black mulberry at Charlton House should really be near the top of the “to visit” list for anyone interested in London’s mulberry trees and their associated heritage. General Oglethorpe, in 1733, imported 500 white mulberry trees to Fort Frederica in Georgia to encourage silk production at the English colony of Georgia. So, at just over 400 years of age, it is not only one of the oldest mulberries in London, but one of the oldest trees in the city, of any species. It was on or near to Brownlow Road. http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/pcat/850904/display/35991654, Mulberries are very short lived and don’t travel well. It begins to produce in May, and my white house and grey car are stained with purple into the late summer. ? Gnarled trunks and branches corkscrew in all directions under a canopy of rough, heart-shaped leaves, while the ground is strewn with wild plants, like stickyweed, bramble and bluebells. Yet it was the white Mulberry (Morus alba) that underpinned China’s silk industry, a lesson the Italians and French also learned. The story goes that the local people made silk stockings for Queen Elizabeth. Maybe it dates back to the Thrale family who had an estate here? May I introduce? The first mulberry trees of England are said to have been planted at silent House, the seat of the Duke of Northumberland, in 1548; and the trees, though decade in the trunk, still bear fruit. Wilkins & Sons of Tiptree make a mulberry conserve sold by Waitrose. But others, like those hiding anonymously in East End gardens or beside the recycle bins on a street corner in Belsize Park, might be described in the words of Percy Bysshe Shelley, as “Lost angels of a ruined paradise.” Yet what was the nature of the horticultural paradise they have fallen from? I just wanted to let you know about our mulberry tree in Colson Way, SW16 1SF. M. macroura ‘Shatoot’ – smaller growing mulberry tree with long white fruit. In late winter, apply a general purpose fertiliser such as Growmore or fish, blood and bone at a rate of 70g per sq m (2oz per sq yd). Wonderful. In Tudor times the trees were prized for their juicy fruit. Western England. Girth records In this table of girth records worldwide only girth measurements made at a height between 1.30 m and 1.50 m are listed. Also, coming from this direction, you see the tree before you see the house, which made me smile ­ natural heritage before built heritage for once. I believe that there is a mulberry tree at the back of The Royal Marsden Hospital in Fulham Road, at least there used to be, when I worked there. Why is this tree here? 10 trees you should plant in your garden Alder, Alnus glutinosa. So, in this case, I wanted to encounter the heritage mulberry first. In truth, I love finding relatively unknown old mulberries lurking in parks and on street corners, in gardens and churchyards ­ a passion that seems to be spreading here at the Conservation Foundation. However older mulberry trees can ocasionally become "dioecious". And it is really easy to get to ­ just a 10-minute walk straight up the hill from Charlton railway station. And wonderful photographs. If we missed the lorry to the orchard, we had to bicycle there. It is quite likely to be as old as the Jacobean house itself, which was built between 1607 and 1612, for Sir Adam Newton, who was tutor to Henry, Prince of Wales - the eldest son of James I. His consort, Queen Anne of Denmark, shared his enthusiasm and also established a Mulberry plantation, complete with silkworm nursery, at Greenwich Palace and another at the Royal Palace at Oatlands in Surrey. Common mulberry (Morus alba) is also known as white mulberry and is native to China. Young trees are usually not very prolific, and their productivity varies by year. A mulberry (Morus nigra) is a deciduous, self-fertile tree growing from 5-20m. Peter explores the mulberry of Charlton House, as old as the Jacobean house itself. One day I found some people up the tree, shaking the branches. Just outside Greater London, in Waltham Cross there are (I think they’re still there) two old mulberry trees in Cedars Park. Perhaps people planted Mulberries out of nostalgia? I hadn’t known anything about that until then. Childhood of Famous Azeris and their advice for the 21st century. I think it survived for a while but thought it had died. Unfortunately for James… The encounter with a 400 year-old living organism can’t be taken lightly. Jacobean Mulberry at the site of the former London Chest Hospital in Bethnal Green. I don’t gather the berries, but leave them for the fun of watching the fox squirrels and a variety of birds share together from the annual abundance of the tree. Even though the black Mulberry was known to the Romans and grew around the Mediterranean, it was the white Mulberry that the Huguenot French king, Henry IV of France, had been planting in the Tuileries Gardens in Paris to encourage silk production. The Native American travelled to England in 1616 with husband John Rolfe after helping save a colonialist's life. Trees with multiple trunks are excluded. A few decades later, the English Civil War took minds away from what was proving to be a marginal industry. The lady living there tried to save an old mulberry tree grown nearby, and it was moved to her garden due to redevelopment. One Mullberry tree is also in existence in the garden of the home of the Playwright George Bernard Shaw. It seems that his spinners may have had more integrity than him in choosing to go into exile for their religious beliefs whereas he converted to Catholicism, reputedly saying that Paris is well worth a Mass. It’s a bit like looking at a Rembrandt painting. The English climate does not suit the white Mulberry, which is used to much warmer weather, so it may have been a deliberate choice to plant the black species. I remember playing in my grandmother’s Hertfordshire mulberry orchard, now covered with houses, 60 years ago. I remember being told at the time that quite often mulberry trees are not actually as old as they look. Charles I spent some of his childhood there. Appealing to their patriotism, he offered them Mulberry saplings “at the rate of three farthings a plant, or at six shillings the hundred containing five score plants,” or more affordable packets of Mulberry seeds for the less well-off, so that they could establish plantations to feed thousands of silkworms. Width can extend from a well-pruned 3m to a neglected 10m! I don’t know if the two mulberries have ever been dated, but it is possible they date from the early 17th century. Around a hundred thousand saplings were imported for this project. if you have one appear in your back yard where nobody complains, you can get a good crop for jam and pies and other pastries. The berries perish soon after being picked, so could not be imported. So, what of the Charlton mulberry’s heritage, besides the house itself? So why did James I, apparently, import and plant thousands of black Mulberries? All the oldies must be heritage trees now. Very pleased our London Mullberies are protected. Of course, memory is not entirely reliable! Police Sports ground in Chigwell Essex It’s interesting that so many Mulberry trees are found in Church gardens and in places where Churches, Priories and other religious conglomerations once existed. John Evelyn & Samuel Pepys both mention visiting it. If it was, indeed, planted when the house was built, this would coincide with the letter that King James I sent to Lord Lieutenants and the landed gentry, asking them to support an English silk industry by planting mulberry trees to provide leaves to feed silkworms. When he showed me around, Mark could point out thirty-five named varieties held in the collection, mostly white Mulberries and just a few decades old. John Gerard, in his Herball of 1597, writes – “The barke of the root is bitter, hot and drie, and hath a scouring faculty: the decoction hereof doth open the stoppings of the liver and spleen, it purgeth the belly and driveth forth worms.”. Terraces of white Mulberries still survive in the Ardèche, Cevennes & Provence regions of France today, often next to disused or converted magnaneries (silkworm houses) where they supplied the silk industry around Lyons. Tree appears to be in the process of relaxing into a … I suppose I thought I could visit the Charlton mulberry any time. It is, indeed, an extraordinary tree and deserves its inclusion on the list of Great Trees of London. I have a very small (weeping) White Mulberry in my back garden ….. i live in madison, wisconsin, u.s.a. mulberries just show up wild in your yard here, maybe from bird droppings (?) Unauthorized use or duplication of these words and pictures without written permission is strictly prohibited. usually they get cut down as nuisances – especially trees by the street or sidewalk – the ground gets all sticky with fruit. A very old Mulberry stump was found and grubbed out in the eighteen hundreds but there is a much more recent black Mulberry there today, next to the Lady Chapel of the church. mulberry gardens were common in the 17th century, in the neighbourhood of London; but either from the climate all the prejudices of the people, the growth of silk never prospered. There are three primary types of Mulberry trees: White, Black, and Red. 2007-07-21: map new: Bath: Bath Botanical Gardens, Royal Victoria Park, Bath, Somerset. When I was 17, many, many years ago, I did one week as a student working in Tiptree, Essex, sometimes picking mulberries. It is said to be the best mulberry for home gardens as it is a small tree which does not produce fruit that stains. The Tudor Lambeth Palace has fine old black Mulberries and there is one next door, in what is now the home of the Garden Museum, near to the tomb of landscape gardener, John Tradescant. This is the site of the old Theobalds Palace, acquired by James I from Robert Cecil in 1607. These are magical looking trees and I was so proud to conserve the beautiful specimen which brought delight to most of the yearly 15 thousand visitors. Black mulberries often look old when they’re not. Like Spitalfields, much of Central London is built upon the ruins of medieval monasteries, razed after Henry VIII dissolved them. Interestingly, Chelsea still has several old Mulberry trees and one is in Mulberry Walk on the site of the original plantation. We have a very large old Mulberry tree in our garden in Felixstowe. With their glossy, heart-shaped green leaves and pendulous branches they make a good shade tree, and are a good choice on the western side of the house where they will help cool things down over summer. It is outside our little shop Emmi’s. Fascinating article, thank you. There was a last-ditch attempt to revive London’s silk industry around 1718, when the Raw Silk Company established a plantation of two thousand Mulberry trees and a silkworm nursery in Chelsea Park, between Fulham Rd and King’s Rd – which may have been upon the initiative of Huguenot weavers in Spitalfields. I hope it’s still there. It was an international camp, living in tents and great fun. It was touching to see the concern of residents on the current estate ( a bit different from the Thrales estate I imagine. Morus, a genus of flowering plants in the family Moraceae, consists of diverse species of deciduous trees commonly known as mulberries, growing wild and under cultivation in many temperate world regions. Thank you for the many lovely photos of the mulberry trees, interesting to read the comments. I could have walked to Charlton from there in 20 minutes. All the mulberries we supply are self-fertile, or "monoecious", with male flowers which can be pollinated from other pollen on the same tree. Pruning is not usually necessary and best avoided. On my next visit to Kew Gardens I will search out the Black/White Mulberry trees I understand they are nice in tarts the berries are similar to raspberries. I recall a Mulberry, back in the late 60’s. James created his own four-acre Mulberry Garden in the grounds of St James’ Palace – now the north-west corner of the garden behind Buckingham Palace – and an adjacent corner of Green Park. Abbey Office Church Street, Tewkesbury GL20 5RZ, England . I have never seen them for sale in this country, although one can buy them dried in Persian grocery stores – delicious. Probably planted widely as source of fresh food. The tree grows from 30 to 50 feet tall and is about the same in width, with a dense, round crown. I’ve never eaten mulberries and will look forward to tracking down some jam. The trees were widely grown in the 18th and 19th centuries to host silkworms, to supply the lucrative silk trade. Mulberry Trees. The tree grows from 6 to 8 feet tall and 8 to 12 feet wide. Mulberries love growing in full sun. Domesday Oak in Ashton Court, Bristol tree is growing outside the Heacham Manor Hotel that on the old 1610 village map in Norwich County Hall archives has HEACHAM HALL GROUNDES in large typed letters above this Manor site that in 1541 became home of the 3rd Duke of Norfolks family Sir Thomas Howard, Princess Pocahontas may have brought the seeds to plant from her Varina home in Henricho Virginia where there is close by a mulberry island later used by the American AirForce, OR from Syon Houses oldest 1548 mulberry tree where they stayed in the Duke of Northumberlands two cottages on his estate at Brentford when they left the BELLE SAUVAGE INN when she became sick in London close to St Pauls Cathedral who also had mulberry trees at that time. It is native to India, Pakistan, southern China and Sri Lanka. Granted, to small children, pretty much any tree looks huge. Voted the top date destination in the capital, the museum is both a homage to the artist who designed and created it, as well as a time capsule to an opulent, ostentatious era of revolutionary design and progressive thinking. Black English mulberry $ 48.00 inc. GST. It was with excitement, then, that I set off on Monday to meet the Charlton House mulberry at last. The Mullberry tree has much grandure and I miss sitting underneath the proud branches as I read a good book shaded from the bright sunshine and looking up seeing the beautiful light glowing through the light green shiny leaves. And we must not forget the venerable – and threatened – black Mulberry on the site of the London Chest Hospital is on the site of Bishop Bonner’s manor house. The website MorusLondinium.org describes the Charlton mulberry as “an extraordinary tree” which, at over 400 years old, is one of the oldest trees in London and the strongest candidate to have been planted as part of James’s original project. Fascinating article! There are many famous Mulberry trees in England. In the garden was a mulberry tree, and a local told us that mulberry trees were common, as they were built to provide silk for silk weavers. That is a lot of silkworms and a lot of leaves, even though silk is very light and 1 kg would make many yards of silk ribbons. There was also an old building, now demolished, called the silk mill. Excavations of water-logged Roman sites in London in the seventies found well-preserved Mulberry pips, revealing that Mulberry trees were introduced and cultivated in London as early as the first century AD. Princess Pocahontas met King James 1 and Queen Anne on twelfth night 6th Jan 1617 for a special masque ball with Ben Johnson play ‘Vision of Delight’ celebration at Whitehall Palace so maybe King James 1 gave her his mulberry seeds to plant in Heacham before she sadly died at Gravesend Kent on the return journey and was buried in the Chancel of St Georges Church on March 21st 1617. I had not realized that the big black Mullberry tree in my Michigan, USA. My reference has become the pair of black mulberries in Fountain Court, in the Middle Temple, which were planted in 1887 for Queen Victoria’s Jubilee and yet look much older. I should have added to my previous post, that I lived in Wokingham, Berkshire for many years, and when teaching took children to a very old house in Rose Street. And two years ago I visited the equally ancient Queen’s Orchard mulberry in Greenwich Park. This and a book published in 1609 by William Stallenge (who became Keeper of the King’s Mulberry Gardens), entitled Instructions for the Increasing of Mulberrie Trees, clearly explain that, while both black and white Mulberries can be used to feed silkworms, the white should be chosen if possible. http://facstaff.columbusstate.edu/burgess_kevin/website/Kevin_S_Burgess_lab.html, In Heacham West Norfolk England village ‘legend’ says Princess Pocahontas planted a mulberry tree at HEACHAM HALL when legend says she visited her husband John Rolfes mother and family with their toddler son Thomas Rolfe just 400 years ago in 1616-1617-An old mulberry Since the collapse of the Soviet Union, production has been greatly reduced. Mulberry plantations were eventually grubbed out, although the Mulberry Garden at St James’ Palace did enjoy success as a Pleasure Garden late into the seventeenth century. Those of Syon House, Brentford, are of special historical interest and include what is reported to be the oldest tree of its kind in England, said to be introduced from Persia in 1548. The Major Oak ©Getty. Does anyone remember such a tree? There is a tree in my street which produces lots of fruit every year from early August, but passers-by have no idea what it is and always ask me “what’s that?” when they see me picking it. The oldest specimen is a cutting from Shakespeare’s Mulberry, taken long after the Bard’s death. I don’t know if there’s a link between the Mulberry tree and religion or whether the Mulberry was seen as a kind of arborial aristocrat, the tree that denoted the high status of the owner. The Haggerston Mulberry. In spring, apply a mulch of organic matter such as well-rotted manure. Other Recent Reviews “Lovely & safe” 09/09/2020 “Fascinating!” 08/09/2020. Henry VIII was recorded as having a mulberry tree for his Chelsea Manor. The Morus Londinium project sets out to record and research London’s mulberry trees to raise public awareness and protect them. The Mulberry in the Queen’s Orchard in Greenwich Park is quite likely a Jacobean survivor, as is the tree at Charlton House. Thank you for another fascinating piece. More, please! Thank you for the delightful photographs of the wonderful Mullberry Trees. From Review: Abbey and the wonderful... of Tewkesbury Abbey Tewkesbury Abbey See all 1,828 reviews. Mulberry trees are not native to England, so mulberry seeds found in excavations of Roman settlements near the Thames suggest that the Romans planted black mulberries for their fruit. Fruit Trees > Temperate Fruit Trees > Mulberry Tree > Mulberry - Black English Large quantities of good sized, sweet, black mulberries are produce in late spring. Look how old it is!” There was my starting point: its sheer age. It looks prob about 200 yrs old but that it is a guess. While this was the heart of silk weaving, it was never a place where Mulberries were grown on a scale required to produce silk commercially. Yet, with their understanding of silk production, why would they have planted black Mulberries? This reminds me that I have been intending to plant some mulberry for quite a while noe.Only problem is I am looking for a new property to rebuild and I’d like to plant then.Maybe both as I don’t have to see them grow do I? However mulberry trees have been located and recorded by the Wokingham District Veteran Tree Assn. During this time I have often taken groups to see the Sayes Court mulberry at Deptford, just a couple of miles down the road ­ which is the tree that got me into this mulberry venture in the first place. A few species are bushes, as mentioned in the nursery rhyme, but the fruit-bearing species worth growing are large trees. Photo: Beautiful Abbey and the famous mulberry tree. At the same time, James I was also trying to get a silk industry off the ground at Jamestown, in his North American colony of Virginia. I’ve only just discovered it. That’s fantastic I live in Bracknell so can go check out Wokingham’s mulberries thanks Sheila. As silk historian John Feltwell, points out, mature white Mulberries in England can be counted on the fingers of one hand and none can be traced back to the silk industry. Note: Comments may be edited. It was at that time offices for NHS staff (having being left to the nurses of The London Hospital for their accommodation by Lord Tredegar). An orphaned tree can be the starting point for a fascinating journey back in time. I hadn’t realised that Henry IV was the French king who developed the silk weaving industry in France. Red mulberry (Morus rubra) grows up to 35 feet tall with a short trunk and a round crown. I read the trees were too prolific in the past so had to be cut back (gardening know how website). And that is exactly what it was ­ a meeting. This is often blamed on the choice of the ‘wrong’ Mulberry but the truth is probably more complex. I am especially interested in mulberry trees for their connection with the silk industry.