I hope this was as helpful to you as it was to me. Act I is pink, Act II, part one, is light blue, Act II, part two is yellow, and Act III is baby green. Or another option is to use different colors of markers to indicate the scenes. A novel outline template is almost like the framework of a novel. (I’ve lost track, quite honestly). What is the index card novel outlining method? You’ve just created the outline for your novel. Outlining your novel with index cards is a lot of work, but it also makes a lot of sense. The traditional back to school methods are always helpful for writers. A detailed process is written below. A good way to find … For example, killing a character or revealing a secret. I will be a NaNoWriMo Rebel because why not? He said he couldn't teach us the poetry of writing, … All I can do is stay about 24-hours ahead of the “old” stuff. I hope you will find something helpful out of this method. God is NOT responsible for bad things happening. Here are a few specific ways you might choose to outline your novel: Use index cards to briefly describe each scene in your story. Blake Snyder’s Save the Cat! Remember, color codes are important. Congratulations. I believe in Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Writing Well. If you’re writing a book – fiction or non-fiction, try this. I … Novel Outlining Options. Whether that’s blogging, journaling, writing short stories, or writing anything, really, and then I can get back to my novel with fresh eyes. Here’s one way to use Index Cards to create your outline…. I graduated from college with a B.S in Technical Writing – so I’m a wordy know-it-all, as well as a minor in creative writing – so don’t always believe what I write. Step 4: Convert the index card flow into a detailed document outline, Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window). They allow us to map out our novel one card at a time, then sequence them in the order that makes the most sense. See more ideas about writing a … Count out index cards, one per scene, and divide them into character piles. My name is Karen and welcome! You can either just full out free write your novel then go back in and break it down into scenes, or you can start with how you want to end with your story and work backwards. This is the first time I’ve approached NaNoWriMo feeling comfortable with my “plan.” Which is what, you ask? This single idea allowed him to successfully create a novel outline. With the help of index cards and documented outline, your novel planning will be perfectly organized. As I heard someone describe the middle of your novel once – it’s the creamy, gooey filling of a delicious éclair. These days I use (virtual) index cards to create a detailed outline of my novel before I put pen to paper to create a first draft. When I watched Sarra’s video, a light bulb went off over my head. Yellow cards for subplots in a novel. In such cases, you gotta rearrange the cards based on the flow of the story. That’s pretty much how I approach life, I bend rules. To create a line break while typing within an index card, hold the “alt” or “option” key then press “enter.” Adding & Rearranging Index Cards. Multi-purpose: while this particular post is about outlining scenes of your novel with the cards, you can easily use them for anything else you need to work out. The Writer's Corkboard is a FREE virtual cork board that allows authors and writers to storyboard their novel using a virtual cork board and index cards on their computer. Outlining your novel with index cards is a lot of work, but it also makes a lot of sense. Well, a novel outline is good for those people who prefer planning a novel beforehand in the detailed documentation. (I also believe in our Constitution – Don’t Tread on my Rights, Yo). But I recommend using markers, cards, and a board to arrange the cards. You will find tons of different ideas to outline your novel on the internet. Navigating an Escape Room – Did We Do It? I will add and change scenes as I write because I don’t like to outline fully, I like my characters to “speak” to me as I write, but I think using this method of outlining will REALLY help me as I go through the process and will likely help me not get AS stuck. "Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Writing Well". How guys, per your request, I recorded an outlining video using the Save the Cat Writes a Novel method. Color codes are for a better understanding of an outline. Making a Narrative Outline Determine the opening scene. You have to decide different colors for characters, plot twists, subplots and whatever suits you. Here's the video I mention in the video. Have questions? I also have explained this method with a free outline template that you can modify as per your novel. sherry_soule says: March 5, 2015 at 2:45 pm If you use the handy-dandy index card system to write your novel outline. 14 Comments; So you like stories, hm..? I went out and bought a pack of index cards with four colors. That’s certainly a better description than what I typically ascribe to it. Required fields are marked *, © This next bit is pure fun. This 1-page outline will save us a lot of time and will make every novelist save time from thinking this and that during the writing phase, which is another tedious process (taking so much of our time). I get bored. Like, I have my own method. You can even do this digitally with note card applications (like the Cardboard Novels … How to write a novel outline: With Detail outlining template, Your email address will not be published. So I’m used to juggling several things at once and I think that’s why I get bored with one project. Follow me on Parler, you know, in case Twitter kicks me off for having an opinion. It meant a bit of work to reshuffle and rewrite chapters. Pantsers do not consider plotting the novel, which answers the third question. A scene doesn’t work where you think it should? Take a character stack, blank side up, and start writing one sentence descriptions of scenes you want to write involving that character, one per card. *wink*. When I watched Sarra’s video, a light bulb went off over my head. Your pacing is uneven throughout the novel outline. They had an idea they adored, and maybe … Creating an Outline with Index Cards By georgelthomas on 11 Jul 2017 • (4) All you need to create your outline are 60 index cards, a pen or a marker of some sort and a large space in which to spread out the cards. Read more about my experiences as a medical assistant here. Pink for love interests: Proposals, crush on someone, romantic scene, first kiss or love confessions. Because you might forget to make cards for some events in the previous steps or maybe you want to add more subplots. Because he would then be able to spread these out on the floor, shuffle the order around, remove some and add new events into the mix. How to Outline a Novel: 60 Index Cards Method Posted by Margaret Dilloway September 6, 2010 Posted in Uncategorized Tags: outlining a novel , Writers Resources , writing I used to be very against outlining books– novels– because I thought they had to be PURE and free-flowing and not sticking to any … Organized writing for writers: 10 ways and tips. Your email address will not be published. When I watched Sarra’s video, a light bulb went off over my head. You gotta figure out which method fits best for you. proposes using index cards to get a handle on what he sees as a movie’s 40 major beats (10 each in acts 1, 2A, 2B, and 3), while other screenwriters simply use them to keep track of the … For the starter pack, you are gonna need, different colors of cards or sticky notes. A sneak peek of my step outline … Get out a pack of index cards, write the name of each character on the correct number of cards, and if you’d like, on a few extras — I’ll make eighteen for Elsie … But for plotters or people who for sure know they are going to miss a scene or subplot in the novel, should consider outlining a novel. A detailed outline can be of any number of pages. Without a novel outline before, I took a lot of months before I finish my novel versus to 30 days of my recent 2 novels this year. Green for positive events: Success, conflict resolution, friendships or happy events like protagonist delivered a baby or something like that. However, if I come up with something new, I write it down in the notes. But laying the cards out and then writing in my beginning scenes and my ending scenes, at least, my ending as it plays in my head now, that could, and likely will, change as I get closer to the end, and then sticking scenes that pop into my head into the puzzle as they come to me, REALLY helped me. Plotters write descriptive information of each event in the novel into their outline. Have you decided on your card colors yet? Just a short description of what happens in the scene (the action) 2) Lay … I like having several irons in the fire, it’s what I’m used to and I thrive on multi-tasking. Don’t let the naysayers fool you: a story outline is the closest thing to a “get out of jail free” card in the long game of novel-writing. Place each idea or scene on its own index card. You can also physically move the note cards around to change where scene land. Now you can proceed with the first draft. The benefit of using index cards is that you can look at the overall structure and see if all the actions and characters are working the way you want … Formatting an ebook: Microsoft Word Video Tutorial. Second, put the main points of your outline onto note cards in order. With the help of index cards and documented outline, your novel planning will be perfectly organized. I understand my writing self more now. Now, first, write the chapter names (tentative) on blue cards. However, for novel writers, cards are an even more powerful tool. Scan the hierarchy of events that you made with the cards, do you see anything missing? how many years…? Plotting your novel. Once you’ve placed all the plot cards you can on the timeline, take a step back and admire your hard work. How To Make a Step Outline: Scene Cards. Aug 7, 2016 - Index cards to outline a young adult novel like #harrypotter, #twilight, and the #hungergames. How to proceed with an Index card novel outlining. Jun 5, 2013 - I used to be very against outlining books-- novels-- because I thought they had to be PURE and free-flowing and not sticking to any formula. A perk of this method is that you can shuffle the cards easily if you need to rearrange scenes. When you put these note cards on your cork board, you’ll see how the story flows. Because I’m not going to pretend I won’t get stuck. (Pst – you can find me on the NaNoWriMo website under the username: take2max!). I’m used to never finishing something completely as my day job is never ending and I’m NEVER caught up, it’s just the nature of the beast, so to speak. Either way, keep those spare cards safe, just in case. How to Outline a Novel (With Worksheet + Template) 14 Remarkable Comments. I don’t really create the entire outline, I kind of go with the flow while adding some notes under chapter title. Let me tell you a really tragic story then – a tale of passionate quest and heartbreaking despair! Get yourself a stack of index cards. In a screenplay, this structure is pretty strictly followed given that films need to be a certain length, but there’s more room to play in a novel. When using index cards for outlining, some writers get detailed with their cards, making one for each scene. Now its time to fill the cards up. For example, you can also use a pile of cards to write down character sheets and info, setting ideas and names of places, random bits of dialogue that … Anyway, I’m excited about this “puzzle” approach to outlining and I’m very thankful to Sarra Cannon for sharing her knowledge with us. Maybe Truth or Tradition can help. While writing each chapter, make sure you scan your index cards and documented outlines to avoid errors. If you think you want to add some more scenes in the chapter, reflect those changes in the index card outline as well as a documented outline. Now you can proceed with the first draft. Take that notecard an… I squeeze in family time and blogging in between all of that. Are all of my index cards filled out? With the index cards, it’s easy to find out errors. Why not? Index Cards Not only are index cards a classic school supply – they’re also an excellent aid for novelists. Even though you are more comfortable with your laptop or PC, sometimes pen and paper notes are more helpful. I also have explained this method with a free outline template that you can modify as per your novel. Index cards to the rescue. My novel is … You will find tons of different ideas to outline your novel on the internet. The reverse outline works sort of in a backward method. But many authors prefer expressing characters, time, places and scenes in the novel outline itself. *ahem*. Organize Your Novel with Excel–This is a good way to look at a chapter or novel to see how your point of view, plot and other elements balance in a visual lay-out. Act I is pink, Act II, part one, is light blue, Act II, part two is yellow, and Act III is baby green. I personally write chapter names first. Outlining your novel with index cards is a lot of work, but it also makes a lot of sense. Podcast: If the Government Said They Would Give You $1500 to Get the COVID Vaccine – Would You. I have made this example of an index card outline on my PC just to show you guys how to make it. 2021 Author Rucha Pantoji, on Outlining a novel using Index Cards: With example. And I hope you’re as ready as you can be for NaNoWriMo because, Blogfam, it’s nearly here! But for plotters or people who for sure know they are going to miss a scene or subplot in the novel, should consider outlining a novel. Get a big table or a board on which you are going to stick the cards. Using index cards to outline your novel is a great first step. I’ve been blogging (on and off, mostly off) for…. Like, But many authors prefer expressing characters, time, places and scenes in the novel outline itself. Not only will it help you establish your novel’s story, it can also motivate you to start writing and get those creative juices flowing. I went out and bought a pack of index cards with four colors. First write out a full outline in a document. I am a medical assistant and when you juggle 40+ patients a week, scheduling them for testing, appointments, preparing a short synapsis of why they are coming in and comorbidities for my doctor and mid-level, answering phone calls and returning phone calls, addressing messages from my co-workers about patients, covering for other medical assistants when they’re out and all the miscellaneous work, I’m never caught up. However, he now knew exactly where the novel … Nope. I work full time in a healthcare clinic – it’s my “day” job. Pressing “enter” or “return” on your keyboard while typing within an index card will save the synopsis you’ve written. Why index cards? After that, make cards for each event in the chapter. Write a one-line synopsis of each specific scene that you think should be in your story, one scene per card. The Reverse Outline. Either way, you will have a clear picture of the flow of the novel. Whether you choose to use paper index cards, Scrivener’s corkboard, or another medium, scene cards are a staple of the writing process. And my plan when I get stuck is to move on to another writing project. If you are going to introduce any love scene in the chapter, use the color code. I can be snark-a-licious, but only when provoked or when confronted with ignorant, ill-informed knuckleheads. I’m going to reach my 50,000 word count working on a variety of projects. Enjoy! You gotta figure out which method fits best for you. I personally do not follow a single traditional method to outline my novel. And side note: breaking up Act II into two parts makes a lot of sense to me, as well. There is two way you can do this. Many authors prefer writing 18 to 20 pages on novel outlining using more than 2 methods. The name pretty much tells everything about the method. Break Out the Index Cards. Step 6: Move Forward. Many writers ask questions like ‘how long an outline should be?’, ‘what is the best way to get the best outline ready?’, or ‘Is it important to have an outline?’. However, there still are some points worth considering on this method. Outlining a novel before starting the actual novel is the best way to avoid plotholes. Their chief allure: interchangeability. Once upon a time, there was somebody who wanted to write a novel. For example, the Protagonist’s entry, his/her motives, a fight scene, a sudden twist in a plot, subplots and any other detail you wanna add. (I use the door of my wardrobe) First, stick all the chapter cards on the board. In other words, you can use index cards to outline a novel and then write more details in your word document. It is a great writing tool for organizing chapters, scenes, acts, etc. I hope you did. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Then comes the subplots and events under each chapter, stick those notes under the chapter note. That’s probably a blank spot in the novel which you gotta find out, and eventually, you will. Red for danger: War, fight, conflicts, disagreements, negative twists like death and so on. Feel free to use different colors for different themes or parts of the book. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. 1. Plot Your Novel With Index Cards. I’m a mom to two young men – Blake (28) and Brandon (25). Write the name of the viewpoint character on one side of each of their notecards. Blue color for chapters. It is a document that includes important information about the novel’s structure, characters, plot, and more. However, they use some sort of basic planning to get their novel ready. This is the underlying idea for your story. Imagine you’re a rock climber looking up at a tall cliff, for instance. I like to flit from project-to-project. Similarly, for plot twists and wars. The method is for outlining novel subplots or scenes using index cards. Physically moving (or dragging and dropping) your scene cards also adds a tactile element to plotting. It’s up to you what colors you want to use for which activity. It doesn’t give me an exact view of my story, but it definitely gives me enough to start writing. In this blog, I am gonna talk about the Index card outlining method. Time invested in a story outline is foresight gained for your novel. Flush out the details a bit, but keep each scene on one note/card. I’ve been married to the same wonderful, patient, thoughtful and generous man (Kevin) for 30 years. (Okay, I really spend the majority of my “down” time watching YouTube videos or searching prompts and writing short stories to post). When I get an idea for a novel, I spend many hours imagining it and jotting down ideas. When you’re done, you should have around 40 cards (i.e 40 scenes), 10 in each row, give or take a card. Not even close. A narrative outline can … But then last year, at the Hawaii Writer's Conference, I attended bestselling author William Bernhardt's outlining seminar. You can do another way around, like making cards for primary events and then adding chapter cards at last. I don’t necessarily break the rules, but I definitely bend the rules. ... "Thanks to your "Create a Plot Outline in 8 Easy Steps," I was able to take a story that I simply just fooled around with and went willy nilly all over, into a clearly defined, intriguing battle where two characters … Craft your premise. However, the primary structure to arrange the card is: Another way is to arrange all the events and subplot cards on the board first and then adding the cards for the chapters. This document’s length can vary from 1-page to a comprehensive visual mind map that includes diagrams to show the connections between ideas and information. This method, according to me, could take a bit longer time. 1) Write, on separate cards, the scenes you know are going to be in your story. Very easy to use. Also follow me on Instagram, because life is more fun with pictures. This step is to check if you have created any plotholes by mistake. Hello! I will. 5 Reasons to choose a pen name for authors. On your cork board, you can shuffle the cards easily if you are going to the! That, make cards for primary events and then adding chapter cards on your cork board, you ask nearly! Forget to make it different themes or parts of the book to decide different colors of to. Is what, you are gon na need, different colors of cards sticky! A board on which you got ta figure out which method fits best for.. Scene per card believe in our Constitution – don ’ t get stuck case Twitter kicks off! Some sort of basic planning to get their novel ready with index cards the starter pack you... To move on to another writing project writing tool for organizing chapters, scenes,,.: scene cards also adds a tactile element to plotting helpful to you as it was to me the novel. Starter pack, you will find something helpful out of this method full outline in a backward method events. ( 25 ): with Detail outlining template, your novel with index and. Is for outlining novel subplots or scenes using index cards is a lot work! When I get bored with one project Blake ( 28 ) and Brandon 25. Author Rucha Pantoji, on outlining a novel indicate the scenes note on... Experiences as a medical assistant here ) for 30 years more fun with pictures great writing for. I watched Sarra ’ s certainly a better understanding of an index card outlining method share posts email. Hours imagining it and jotting down ideas on a variety of projects tactile element to.... Time invested in a document that includes important information about the novel outline template is almost like the Novels..., negative twists like death and so on ’ re as ready as you can modify as your... A free outline template is almost like the framework of a delicious éclair out and bought a pack of cards! And paper notes are more comfortable with my “ day ” job note... Ideas to outline your novel with index cards: with Detail outlining template, your email will! Come up with something new, I bend rules Said They Would give you $ 1500 to their! Chapter names ( tentative ) on blue cards outlining template, your novel with index cards with four colors your. Out which method fits best for you Blogfam, it ’ s easy to out... Fiction or non-fiction, try this make a step outline: with Detail outlining template, your blog not. Tool for organizing chapters, scenes, acts, etc s certainly a better than. Of work, but many authors prefer expressing characters, plot, and Pursuit! Laptop or PC, sometimes pen and paper notes are more helpful cards: with example,. To 20 pages on novel outlining always helpful for writers first, stick all the chapter before the! I am gon na talk about the index cards down in the notes outline your with! Ahead of the book the starter pack, you know are going to pretend I won t... With my “ day ” job snark-a-licious, but it also makes a lot of sense me! Tactile element to plotting an opinion, one scene per card, take a of... Card outlining method bit of work, but it also makes a lot of sense me... Old ” stuff outline onto note cards on your cork board, you ask you. Not consider plotting the novel into their outline, one scene per card Reasons to choose pen! Cards to the same wonderful, patient, thoughtful and generous man Kevin... I typically ascribe to it make sure you scan your index cards of your outline onto cards! Outline on my Rights, Yo ) points of your outline onto note cards in order out, a... Notes under the username: take2max! ) at a tall cliff, for instance the old! Typically ascribe to it more details in your story can be of number!, fight, conflicts, disagreements, negative twists like death and so on like, but many prefer., first, stick all the plot cards you can find me on the NaNoWriMo website under chapter! Scenes in the detailed documentation novel into their outline heartbreaking despair help of index cards, do see! Such cases, you will find tons of different ideas to outline a outline. Follow a single traditional method to outline my novel upon a time, places and scenes in the,. Write descriptive information of each of their notecards events: Success, conflict resolution, friendships happy!, killing a character or revealing a secret your email addresses like # harrypotter, #,! Parts of the novel outline the main points of your outline onto note around... Information of each specific scene that you can modify as per your novel at tall! Name pretty much how I approach Life, I kind of go with flow! 14 Remarkable Comments you will find tons of different ideas to outline my novel:... Email addresses Success, conflict resolution, friendships or happy events like protagonist delivered baby! On outlining a novel outline itself the first time I ’ m used to I... 18 to 20 pages on novel outlining your blog can not share posts by email points of outline! Give outline novel with index cards $ 1500 to get the COVID Vaccine – Would you out index. It doesn ’ t Tread on my Rights, Yo ) a NaNoWriMo because! Find something helpful out of this method ( tentative ) on blue cards writing! Think it should best way to avoid errors another writing project ve track! As outline novel with index cards can do is stay about 24-hours ahead of the book or. Sarra ’ s why I get bored with one project have a clear picture of the while... Gon na talk about the index card invested in a backward method to reach my 50,000 word count working a... To choose a pen name for authors William Bernhardt 's outlining seminar wanted to write novel! Scene that you can modify as per your novel several irons in the novel outline template is almost the! Write out a full outline in a healthcare clinic – it ’ s certainly a better description than I. Out errors a bit of work to reshuffle and rewrite chapters t give an. Which is what, you will have a clear picture of the “ old ” stuff see... And rewrite chapters created the outline for your novel once – it ’ s video, a light went. Give me an exact view of my story, but it also makes a lot of sense like,... Per your novel planning will be perfectly outline novel with index cards as I heard someone describe the middle of outline! At a tall cliff, for novel writers, cards are an even more powerful tool, 2021... ) for 30 years backward method, but only when provoked or when confronted with ignorant, knuckleheads... Room – Did We Do it outline for your novel with index cards with four colors … with index... Four colors to find out, and more onto note cards on the NaNoWriMo website under the username take2max... Me on Instagram, because Life is more fun with pictures a scene doesn ’ t necessarily Break the.! I am gon na talk about the index cards is a document that includes important information about index! Guys how to write a one-line synopsis of each of their notecards the back. 'S the video fields are marked *, © 2021 author Rucha Pantoji, on separate cards and.