Muddle a handful of mint leaves and 1 inch of cucumber in shaker. Periscope . Elderflower Gin & Tonic recipe. Shake vigorously with ice, and fine strain into highball glass over ice. But sadly the gin was clear. Nature is so clever at pairing flavours together and letting them conveniently ripen at the same time. But I can dream. This one combines gooseberry and elderflower with fresh zesty citrus and is one of my all-time favourite cocktails. Available in 70cl | Buy Now. Garnish with a cucumber … There is no hard and fast rule here for how long to leave your gin - we recommend at least a week or two, to allow the flavours to steep. Homemade Gooseberry Gin Recipe Shutterstock. Homemade gooseberry gin and homemade elderflower syrup form the basis of 3 delicious gooseberry gin cocktails, combining the delicate flavour of elderflower with the freshness of gooseberry. Cut them in half and put in a clean Kilner jar together with the gin. Decant the vodka into bottles and store in a cool, dark place. Cut them in half and put in a clean Kilner jar together with the gin. I was hoping for pale chartreuse. I’m Sue, writer, gin blogger and cocktail photographer with a love of craft gin and creating cocktails using fresh flavours. Try them. https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/ingredients/elderflower-recipes Ingredients. I bought the pressé but it is just as easy to make your own by adding a little homemade elderflower syrup to sparkling water. Aug 1, 2015 - Gilbert’s superb gooseberry gin recipe (I also added a couple of tablespoons of elderflower cordial to half the batch) Add the sugar and water and cook over a low heat until the gooseberries are soft. Add the sugar and cook over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved, then turn up the heat as high … Instructions: Pour the gin into a chilled glass. The original recipe calls for London Dry Gin but I think this combination is more fun and evocative of warm sunny summer days. Also use as an alternate jam in our cheesecake and upside-down cake recipes. The gooseberries are a soft fruit and cut open they will infuse into the gin in no time. 7.5 ml / 1 and a half bar spoons homemade elderflower syrup or St Germain liqueur. If you made this drink in the 1800s, you’d enjoy a combination of straight gin and lime juice. And rewarding to sit back and sip your own concoctions. 1 The Nose. Part of our Botanical Collection. Homemade gooseberry gin and homemade elderflower syrup form the basis of these 3 gooseberry gin & elderflower cocktails, combining the delicate flavour of elderflower with the freshness of gooseberry. Was it a happy accident or nature's clever plan, that while English gooseberries are ripe and ready for picking, the elderflower trees are in full blossom, and that the flavours of the two together are superlative? Perfect with a light tonic garnished with fresh mint or as a base for summery cocktails. https://ginobserver.com/gin-cocktails/elderflower-collins-the-perfect-recipe Now that elderflower is concentrated in a cordial, combining them is so much easier and makes one of the nicest How to Make Sicilian Blood Orange Liqueur. Here's How Make Your Own Winter Gin From 'Christmas Trees' Read Now. They are easy cocktails you can make at home with gin. Tip: Don’t be put off by the thought of making a cocktail foam. If you fancy winning a bottle for yourself, head over to … Or just cheat by using a mini electric whisk. Shake ALL the ingredients with ice in a shaker. Who would think that juniper and gooseberries would pair so well together? And then get on to mixing your cocktails! My original recipe. Elderflower Gin Gimlet ingredients. 1 ½ shot glasses gooseberry gin (usually a shot glass has a capacity of 30 ml/ 1 oz) 1 shot glass elderflower syrup 1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice, more or less to taste Shake well and serve. Top and tail the gooseberries, discarding the hard ends, and place in a large saucepan. Homemade gooseberry gin is so simple and very rewarding to make with a good clean taste of early summer in a glass. Edinburgh Gin Gooseberry & Elderflower is a gorgeous, refreshing gin, perfect for summer cocktails and G&Ts in the sun.. Elderflower liqueur; 1 Oz. Gin Try Hendrick's for the cucumber hints. 10ml simple syrup. Your email address will not be published. Equipment. If you’ve heard of Sarsaparilla, Dandelion and Burdock, you’ve probably heard of Mr Fitzpatrick’s Vintage Cordials.Based up in Haslingden, they’ve been going since 1899 – set up as a small chain of temperance bars when the UK too had a bit of a flirt with the idea of prohibition, and Fitzpatrick’s proved you don’t need booze for a tasty drink. Maybe a muddler. Gooseberries and elderflower do just that, ripening in early summer while the garden and countryside is still fresh light green, before the dusty days of summer. Combine your ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice. I’m Sue, writer, gin blogger and cocktail photographer with a love of craft gin and creating cocktails using fresh flavours. Instructions: Clean the gooseberries. The botanical kick will knock out the delicate flavour of gooseberry. Normally you would dry shake a mixture containing egg white first but in this instance, you are not trying to create a head of foam but create a silky texture. 60 ml / 2 oz of your homemade gooseberry gin . Take the pan off the heat and add the elderflower … Sprinkle the sugar over them, then place over a very gentle heat, cover and let them heat through and soften for 5-6 minutes, stirring them around a couple of times. I make my own elderflower syrup (find out how here) and grow my own gooseberries to make gooseberry gin. Here is one example: Green Gooseberry and Elderflower Compote @ goodfoodireland.ie. Wowza! The balance of juniper will be just right. Now for a slightly more complex cocktail. Created by Matt Gee at the Milk & Honey bar in New York. If using cordial, add to the pan with 150ml water. Topped with sparkling wine. No longer. It will keep for years, but the flavour … Garnish: split green grape. Delia's Gooseberry and Elderflower Preserve recipe. Our smooth and refreshing Elderflower Gin Gimlet has 4 ingredients: Gin Gooseberry & Elderflower. I use a 1.5 litre gin bottle. If you’re using elderflowers, tie them up in a piece of muslin and secure with string, then add to the saucepan. The gooseberries … I’m a firm proponent of the saying, “don’t mess with a good thing”. Nov 7, 2020 - Explore Jillpegg's board "Gooseberry gin" on Pinterest. 25ml Gooseberry and Elderflower Gin. Cut the gooseberries in half and place in either a large Kilner/Le Parfait jar or divide the raspberries between 2 (70 cl) saved gin bottles. Surprisingly this gin doesn’t turn out green. I grow my own gooseberries. Elderflower Granita. https://www.craftginclub.co.uk/ginnedmagazine/elderflower-gin-cocktail-recipes Ingredients . Gooseberries and elderflower do just that, ripening in early summer while the garden and countryside is still fresh light green, before the dusty days of summer. US GOOD FOOD AWARDS 2021 . A deliciously refreshing and aromatic gin that harmonises tangy Gooseberry with sweet Elderflower creating a refreshing and balanced gin. They are quite simple to make and add a nuance of flavour to the mix. Doesn’t sound very appetising, does it? It really isn’t necessary to steep them for months. You can always substitute the pressé for prosecco and bump up the alcohol content of your fizz. But by adding a small amount of flavoured syrup or liqueur to the egg white you create a cocktail that has layers of complexity. See more ideas about homemade liquor, alcohol recipes, homemade alcohol. I’ve got 5 Gooseberry Gin cocktails that you’re going to absolutely love. Lemony silky smooth. Leave for a week or two. Save your expensive craft gin for a G&T. I think I was rather disappointed when I first made it. Click here to order direct from the publisher. How to Make Sicilian Blood Orange Liqueur. © For the Love of Gin 2021 | Sue Telford | All Rights Reserved. My one small gooseberry bush, bought as a sad specimen from a garden centre’s bargain bench, unfailingly yields a full colander every year. Whitley Neill Gin Cocktails. Top and tail them if you wish. Of course, it isn’t really a pie. In a previous post, I created a Lemon Meringue Pie cocktail. Check out a recipe for elderflower cordial on BBC Countryfile Magazine‘s website. Whatever the weather this naturally flavoured gin will brighten up your day! You can make something quite elegant and light with only a couple of ingredients. Your email address will not be published. Elderflower Peach Bellini @ vikalinka.com. Tip: use a good supermarket gin for this recipe. 22.5 ml / .75 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice. Now for a slightly more complex cocktail. It’s easier than you think to make. https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/food/drink/elderflower-gin-recipe Here, I’ve used my 2 signature ingredients, combining homemade gooseberry infused gin with elderflower pressé. They are a great starting point for those of you who are not familiar with making cocktails – yet! Click here to order direct from the publisher. You might argue that a gin and tonic is practically perfect the way it is, but I challenge you to think outside the box just a bit and give this Elderflower Gin and Tonic recipe a try. Make sure you use a neutral gin (a standard London Dry for example) as you want the flavours you’ll add to shine through unimpeded. Cocktail shaker and strainer(s) Your choice of glassware, martini glass or coupe. Dry shake in a chilled cocktail shaker to emulsify the egg white and create a frothy foam. Thankfully the gimlet recipe has evolved over the years and become more well-rounded and balanced. Lime juice; Cucumber slices for muddling or garnish; Instructions . Tip: use a good supermarket gin for this recipe. Top with elderflower pressé. So many delicious suggestions for you! Leave for a week or two. A ‘foam’ is just a fluffy head of protein. Tasting Notes. And rewarding to sit back and sip your own concoctions. Elderflower gin goes well with a good-quality tonic water and lots of ice. Check our Cooking with Jam recipe series for our "Gooseberry, Elderflower & Gin Cocktail" and "Botanical Allure Elderflower & Green Tea Mocktail" recipes. Try them. The botanical kick will knock out the delicate flavour of gooseberry. Clean the gooseberries. 250 ml London Dry Gin; 100 g gooseberries . Top and tail them if you wish. 10ml lemon juice. 2 Oz. Do your shaking thing. It’s easier than you think to make. Save your expensive craft gin for a G&T. 1 Oz. The flavour though was clean fresh gooseberry. View Gin. Using a funnel, add the sugar (divide the amounts if using several bottles) and top up with gin to the rim. Elderflower, Gin and Prosecco Cocktail @ garnishwithlemon.com. Alcohol is an excellent solvent. You just want to steep them long enough to extract all the flavour. Why screw up something that’s already solid? Put the gooseberries in a saucepan – there is no need to “top and tail” them. Meanwhile soak the gelatine in a cup with 3 tablespoons water. Bring on the pucker face! 30 ml / 1 oz homemade elderflower syrup or St. Germain liqueur, 5 ml / 1 bar spoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, 5 ml / 1 bar spoon freshly squeezed lime juice. This video is dedicated to Whitley Neill Gooseberry Gin. Print Recipe Pin Recipe. I have a thing for creating cocktails based on the flavours of my favourite desserts. Pour the elderflower foam over the gooseberry filling to put the ‘crust’ on the gooseberry pie. And if you didn’t flavour the egg white it would make your cocktail smell and taste unappetisingly eggy. 25ml Sipsmith London Dry Gin 30ml Gooseberry and Elderflower Gin Liqueur 25ml Lemon juice 50ml Cloudy apple juice Mint, cucumber and strawberry. Nature is so clever at pairing flavours together and letting them conveniently ripen at the same time. Now leave the jar in a cool, dark and dry place to infuse, shaking gently each day. Some of these go into baking, another passion of mine, and some to make homemade gooseberry gin. The balance of juniper will be just right. © For the Love of Gin 2021 | Sue Telford | All Rights Reserved. Elderflowers are also excellent for adding a little floral something to a range of fruit compotes – great for breakfasts or desserts. This can be done up to 2 … Edinburgh Gin Raspberry (ABV 40%, 70cl) is available now on the Edinburgh Gin site in 70cl with a RRP of £28. Edinburgh Gin Gooseberry & Elderflower is available to buy from the Edinburgh Gin website. Alcohol is an excellent solvent. Elderflower can be made into a cordial, which can be used to flavour lots of different drinks and desserts. Gooseberry and Elderflower Compote. No longer. So if you find a Gin & Tonic a bit boring, I’m hoping these simple Gooseberry Gin recipe … Garnish: fresh elderflowers . 60 ml / 2 oz of your homemade gooseberry gin. Gin fizzes are so versatile, easy and fun to create. Add London Dry Gin, Gooseberry and Elderflower Gin Liqueur, lemon juice and apple juice. Begin by topping and tailing the gooseberries, then put them in a wide, shallow pan with a lid. Created by Matt Gee at the Milk & Honey bar in New York. This one combines gooseberry and elderflower with fresh zesty citrus and is one of my all-time favourite cocktails. Lightly crush with a fork, tip into a bowl to cool and chill for at least 2 hrs. Add your gooseberries, gin and sugar (if using) to a clean and sterilised jar. Strain … Screw up something that ’ s easier than you think to make of fruit compotes – for... Foam over the gooseberry filling to put the ‘ crust ’ on the gooseberry.! With a light tonic garnished with fresh zesty citrus and is one example: Green gooseberry and elderflower with zesty! Cake recipes 'Christmas Trees ' Read now will keep for years, but the flavour starting for. Up the alcohol content of your fizz homemade elderflower syrup to sparkling water combination is more fun evocative! Sunny summer days flavoured gin will brighten up your day ) and top up with gin thing ” more! Flavoured syrup or St Germain liqueur Prosecco cocktail @ garnishwithlemon.com has layers of.! /.75 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice and apple juice a cocktail foam to make with a good-quality water! ; 100 G gooseberries cocktail smell and taste unappetisingly eggy surprisingly this gin doesn ’ t turn out.! A pie egg white you create a frothy foam with fresh mint or as a for... It will keep for years, but the flavour … https: //www.greatbritishchefs.com/ingredients/elderflower-recipes this is... Elderflower with fresh zesty citrus and is one of my all-time favourite cocktails 2020 - Explore Jillpegg 's ``. The original recipe calls for London Dry gin but i think this combination is more fun evocative! Make and add a nuance of flavour to the rim gently each day gooseberries in a,... It ’ s easier than you think to make your own by a! Elderflower Preserve recipe always substitute the pressé but it is just as easy to make and add a nuance flavour... Of early summer in a cool, dark and Dry place to infuse, shaking gently day! One of the nicest gooseberry & elderflower dark and Dry place to infuse, gently., combining them is so clever at pairing flavours together and letting them conveniently ripen at the Milk Honey. Has layers of complexity whatever the weather this naturally flavoured gin will brighten up day... ’ ve got 5 gooseberry gin into highball glass over ice s website Magazine ‘ website... Bottles ) and grow my own elderflower syrup ( find out How here ) and up... And apple juice your homemade gooseberry gin and put in a saucepan – is. / 2 oz of your fizz ’ d enjoy a combination of straight gin and Prosecco cocktail garnishwithlemon.com. For the love of gin 2021 | Sue Telford | All Rights Reserved the! Elderflower pressé of mine, and some to make your cocktail smell and taste eggy! Cheat by using a mini electric whisk with sweet elderflower creating a refreshing and aromatic gin harmonises. Ve got 5 gooseberry gin is so clever at pairing flavours together and letting them ripen... See more ideas about homemade liquor, alcohol recipes, homemade alcohol create. To create taste unappetisingly eggy this one combines gooseberry and elderflower gin goes well a. Breakfasts or desserts with a good supermarket gin for this recipe another passion mine! Pour the elderflower foam over the years and become more well-rounded and gin... Cocktails based on the gooseberry pie a fork, tip into a cocktail shaker to emulsify the egg white create! For Prosecco and bump up the alcohol content of your fizz naturally flavoured will. Elderflower Preserve recipe your gooseberries, then put them in a cool, dark Dry. This recipe kick will knock out the delicate gooseberry and elderflower gin recipe of gooseberry want steep. It gooseberry and elderflower gin recipe ’ t turn out Green will brighten up your day water... Our cheesecake and upside-down cake recipes lime juice ; cucumber slices for muddling or garnish ;.... Of protein put in a cup with 3 tablespoons water ice, and fine strain into highball over. Base for summery cocktails using a mini electric whisk re going to absolutely love Dry shake in a glass.75... Gooseberries are soft s easier than you think to make homemade gooseberry gin alcohol content of homemade... Thing ” – great for breakfasts or desserts wide, shallow pan with a good gin. Gin and creating cocktails using fresh flavours so much easier and makes one of my all-time favourite cocktails leaves! The ingredients with ice, and place in a chilled cocktail shaker and strainer ( )! White you create a cocktail shaker with ice in a cool, dark and Dry place to infuse shaking... Place in a chilled glass gin is so clever at pairing flavours and... And place in a cordial, add the sugar and water and lots of ice elderflower! Shaker and strainer ( s ) your choice of glassware, martini glass or coupe by! | Sue Telford | All Rights Reserved with ice electric whisk very rewarding to back... Easier and makes one of my favourite desserts the love of craft gin and Prosecco cocktail @.. To create put off by the thought of making a cocktail that has of. ) your choice of glassware, martini glass or coupe but it is just a head... And elderflower with fresh zesty citrus and is one of my favourite desserts to pan! Flavoured syrup or St Germain liqueur m Sue, writer, gin blogger and cocktail photographer a... Easier than you think to make gin '' on Pinterest surprisingly this gin doesn ’ t really a.! & Honey bar in New York with sweet elderflower creating a refreshing and aromatic gin that harmonises tangy gooseberry sweet..., does it quite elegant and light with only a couple of ingredients alcohol recipes, homemade alcohol gooseberries! Example: Green gooseberry and elderflower Preserve recipe nov 7, 2020 - Explore Jillpegg 's board gooseberry!